In this section of the 300-hour Advanced TT, emphasis will be placed on teaching clear and precise principles of alignment in both fast-paced movement practices and long-held supported practices. Other important topics include masterfully sequencing poses to attain a certain focus in your practice and teaching, learning to work with mixed level classes, and addressing common problems and injuries that occur in the intermediate and advanced level student.
The intent of this program is to advance and accelerate your practice as well as give you an opportunity to teach advanced-level poses including inversions, hip openings, advanced backbends and twists. You will gain hands on experience in adjusting and assisting students to move safely into these complex poses. Injuries and special needs will be addressed along with some meditation and breath work.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
- How to teach intermediate and advanced level poses in the safest possible way
- Effective language to communicate instructions clearly
- Preparation of lesson plans and creation of exciting sequences from different categories of poses or methods of practice
- How to adjust with skill and precision
- How to safely take your students deeper into their practice
- How to work with musculo-skeletal problems in intermediate to advanced poses
- The importance of practicing and teaching breath work
- How to deepen your meditation practice and teach from your own experience
Teaching restorative classes requires a specialized skillset. Ideally, deep supported poses are practiced for years before teaching them. Our knowledge and experience in this area will help initiate and deepen your restorative practices. This course will teach how to support with props to achieve a practice that is restorative and/or recuperative in nature.
The intention of this course is to learn to teach with many props including walls, chairs, bolsters, benches, blankets, blocks and belts in order to support students in the safest way possible. (We will incorporate the use of yoga walls, which includes ropes and slings if available.) Pranayama will also be introduced.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Adapt postures with variations from all categories (inversions, standing poses, backbends, twists and forward bends) with the help and support of different props.
- Learn sequencing for different types of restorative practices.
- Work on effective verbal cuing skills to communicate instructions clearly.
- Adjust with skill and precision using props to take your students safely into new or deeper postures and practices.
Restorative practices* we may cover during this module:
- Pre-Menstrual, Menstrual and Post-Menstrual
- Perimenopause – Menopause
- Immune System
- Nervous System
- Respiratory System
- Cardiac Health
* These practices may vary depending on time available and the needs of the group.
This portion of the 300-hour Advanced TT will focus on understanding the major systems of the body as related to restorative and/or recuperative asana practices, savasana, breath awareness and meditation. Systems covered will be the musculoskeletal system, nervous system, organ system, immune, digestive, circulatory and lymphatic systems.
The intention of this program is to acquire new skills to effectively help students that may be in difficulty and may need to practice yoga in a therapeutic way to feel better. Hart and Donna are invested in educating yoga teachers to become knowledgeable about the potential effects of yoga and meditation as a path to wellbeing.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
- The multiple layers of the human body and psyche as emphasized by the yoga tradition (the koshas).
- How to join physical movement with breath awareness and spiritual intention – the integration of breath, body and mind – the physical and emotional process towards restoring balance, well-being and improved health.
- How to teach poses and/or practices for different needs or illnesses.
- How to work with props to support your students in a therapeutic way.
- Using different meditation and visualization techniques to help students deal with fear, trauma and everyday life experiences.
- How to teach breath awareness and different variations of savasana.
Topics covered in this training:
- Upper back, neck and shoulders
- Lower back and hamstrings
- Hips, groins and knees
- Autoimmune diseases
- Sexual trauma
- Chronic pain, anxiety and depression
- Stress and trauma
- Asthma, snoring and sleep apnea